Go Girls! is educating, inspiring, and activating girls to take center stage this summer.
Go Girls! Camp is (for 1st-4th grade girls & gender non-conforming kids) and Go Girls! Productions (for 5th & 6th graders).
Over two weeks, rising first graders - fourth graders learn social and emotional skills through the arts. Girls practice theater, expressive arts, music and perform their own play that promoting pro-social values.
Older kids (rising fifth and sixth graders) produce, edit, direct, and star in their own short films. Girls learn to think critically of the media they consume while creating original girl-powered media.
THIS SUMMER, YOUR GO GIRL! WILL:
- Learn from highly qualified teaching artists and fierce girl advocates
- Make plays, music, media, and art that empower them to take center stage in their life
- Learn Kidpower skills to set boundaries, join a group, ask for help and stand up for each other
- Build community with other girls & gender nonconforming kids across race and background to practice empathy, collaboration, and solving problems in peaceful and powerful ways
- Practice throwing their mistakes in the Tower of Oops so they can move on, celebrate learning and let go of perfectionism
WHO: For rising 1st-6th grade girls and gender nonconforming kids
WHAT: There are two different Go Girls! programs depending on the age of your child
- Go Girls! Camp - Rising 1st-4th grade girls learn social and emotional skills through the arts. Girls practice theater, expressive arts, music and perform their very own play that promotes pro-social values.
- Go Girls! Productions - Rising 5th & 6th grade produce, edit, direct, and star in their own short films. Girls learn to think critically of the media they consume while creating original girl-powered media.
There are four 2-week sessions throughout the summer. Each session is Monday - Friday, 9am-4pm with a culminating performance and film screening on the final Friday of the session. Aftercare is available until 5:30pm.
- Session #1: June 17-28
- Session #2: July 8-19
- Session #3: July 22-Aug 2
- Session #4: Aug. 5-16
Go Girls! happens in three Bay Area Locations -
- OAKLAND NORTH - North Oakland Community Charter School, 1000 42nd Street (Sessions 1-3 ONLY)
- OAKLAND EAST - Mills College Children's School, 5000 MacArthur Blvd (Sessions 1-3 for Go Girls! Camp ONLY, no Go Girls! Productions)
- BERKELEY - Shu Ren International School, 2125 Jefferson Avenue (Sessions 2-4 ONLY)
- Go Girls! Camp is $729 with an early bird rate of $679 when you register by February 1.
- Go Girls! Productions is $749 with an early bird rate of $699 when you register by February 1.
- Aftercare is available for an additional $75 per week (or $40 per day for drop-ins)
- Scholarships and payment plans are available. Please click here for details.
- A deposit of 25% is required upon registration to hold your spot. All balances are due May 1st.
Go Girls! is the registered trademark and production of Spotlight: Girls, an Oakland-based B Corp that educates, inspires, and activates girls to take center stage. It was founded in 2005 by Lynn Johnson and Allison Kenny, who are partners in life and business.
Lynn is a visionary entrepreneur, speaker, girl advocate, and Co-Founder/CEO of Spotlight: Girls. She is a sought-after facilitator and speaker and serves on the National Advisory Board of Teaching Artists Guild, the Board of Directors of the How Kids Learn Foundation, and the Alameda County Commission on the Status of Women.
Allison is an award-winning blogger, author, and actor. Her first book, Starring Celia, is a chapter book about a 4th grader who stands up to bullying and becomes a Go Girl!. She also created Go Squirrel! - a series of coloring books aimed at teaching young readers complex social/emotional lessons through fun and accessible social stories. Allison shares the adventures of their queer, multi-racial, adoptive family on her blog RaisingaGoGirl.com.
Lynn and Allison live in Oakland with their 10-year-old Go Girl! and three adorable yappy dogs.