Spotlight: Girls is seeking MUSIC SPECIALISTS for temporary full-time employment for our Go Girls! Camp season from June 17 – August 16, 2019. Compensation is $22.00-$26.00 per hour DOE, about 40 hrs. per week, working all sessions at a single site preferred (but not required). Hours are Monday- Friday 8:00am-4:30pm and until 5:30 on the final Friday of each session.
Mandatory Training days are the weekend of May 25-27, 2019. This training is led by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny, veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists and Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. You are paid a stipend for your time to attend and will be well-fed. In this training, not only will you learn the ins and outs of working at a Go Girls! Camp, you will also learn, practice, and strengthen the skills that will benefit your career as a teacher, teaching artist, youth worker, and girl advocate anywhere you choose to share your gifts in the world.
As a Go Girls! Camp Music Specialist, you will...
- Train with Spotlight: Girls Owners to learn our Go Girls! Camp Methodology
- Prepare curriculum and high quality learning experiences according to the Go Girls! Methodology
- Lead girls ages 5-10 through the process of devising original songs that incorporate the themes of camp and/or the girls’ ideas
- Lead 3 age appropriate music classes per day that support confidence, movement, and a variety of musical techniques
- Lead daily "Family Group" lessons that introduce experiences with our Go Girls! Culture Code
- Effectively manage a group of up to 48 girls using positive discipline techniques and relational attachment (camp ratio is 8:1)
- Work effectively with your team: Site Director, Play Director, Assistant Teachers, Expressive Artist and Middle School aged interns from the Go Girls! Leadership Team (GGLT)
- Support children to feel safe and have fun during community building, free play, snack and lunch times
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our collaborating partners throughout the course of the summer
A Go Girls! Camp Music Specialist will have...
- At least 5 years of experience teaching music to young children ages 5-10
- Knowledge in and respect for ensemble-based collaborative processes of creating original performance
- Knowledge in and respect for musical experiences that are physical, play-based and incorporate story
- Flexibility: multi-tasking and managing challenges in a variety of situations is key
- Confidence: we hire artists who can project calm and confidence
- Impeccable Social/Emotional Skills: Ability to manage stress and emotional triggers, willingness to use direct communication, ask for what you need and listen to others needs
- A Curious and Reflective Mind: the kind of person who is always learning, always thinking about how you can do better, open to loving feedback
- Great Boundaries: the ability to take good care of yourself by saying no when you need to and keep all kids safe at camp
- Positive energy: Kids do best with adults who model kindness & playfulness
- “Nothing to Hide”: all employees of Spotlight: Girls are subject to fingerprinting background checks and TB testing
STEP ONE: Fill out our online APPLICATION (below) where you can UPLOAD your teaching resume and cover letter. In your letter, please include the following:
- Your philosophy of working with kids (how you do it and why you love it)
- Why you want to work for Go Girls!
- What qualities do you have that you feel would benefit our girls.
Qualified folks will be invited to attend a 30-45 minute IN-PERSON INTERVIEW with Go Girls! Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. ZOOM interviews can be scheduled with artists and assistants who live outside of the Bay Area. These interviews are held throughout February.
Our final step in the hiring process is a CALLBACK AUDITION on Saturday, March 30th from 9:00am-12:00pm in Oakland. Attending this callback is a requirement for hiring. It’s lead by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny, veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists and Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. It is structured as an interactive professional development opportunity for the 30 or so artists who attend.
Final job offers are made during the week of April 8th.