Spotlight: Girls is currently seeking ASSISTANT TEACHERS for temporary full-time employment for our Go Girls! Camp season from June 17 – August 16, 2019.
Compensation | $14.00-$16.00 per hour DOE, about 40 hrs. per week, working all sessions at a single site preferred (but not required). Hours: Monday- Friday 8:00am-4:30pm and until 5:30 on the final Friday of each session.
Mandatory Training days are the weekend of May 25-27, 2019. This training is led by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny, veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists and Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. You are paid a stipend for your time to attend and will be well-fed. In this training, not only will you learn the ins and outs of working at a Go Girls! Camp, you will also learn, practice, and strengthen the skills that will benefit your career as a teacher, teaching artist, youth worker, and girl advocate anywhere you choose to share your gifts in the world.
As a Go Girls! Camp Assistant Teacher, you will...
- Train with Spotlight: Girls Owners to learn our Go Girls! Camp Methodology
- Assist the Camp Mama, Play Director, Expressive Artist and Music Specialist in implementing curriculum and high quality learning experiences according to the Go Girls! Camp Methodology
- Lead age appropriate creative and playful activities that teach cooperation, focus, generosity and creativity
- Work with a team to effectively manage a group of about 48 young children using positive discipline techniques
- Effectively support our Go Girls! Leadership Team (GGLT) ages 12-15 to assist in camps
- Support children to feel safe and have fun during community building, free play, snack and lunch times
- Support children to manage conflicts peacefully by facilitating “talk-it-outs”
- Facilitate clean-up time, coordinate transitions, serve snacks, and read books aloud to kids
- Make positive connections with parents during camp
A Go Girls! Camp Assistant Teacher will have...
- At least 2 years of experience working with children ages 5-10 in diverse settings
- Be working on receiving your high school diploma or college degree
- Some knowledge of early childhood and youth development
- Basic respect for and experience in theater and other art forms
- Flexibility: multi-tasking and managing challenges in a variety of situations is key
- Confidence: we hire young women who can project calm and confidence
- Impeccable Social/Emotional Skills: Ability to work in collaboration with others is what we are all about
- A Curious and Reflective Mind: the kind of person who is always learning, always thinking about how you can do better, open to loving feedback
- Positive energy: Kids do best with adults who model kindness and playfulness
- “Nothing to Hide”: all employees of Spotlight: Girls are subject to fingerprinting background checks and TB testing
- Dependable way to get to work on time each day
STEP ONE: Fill out our online APPLICATION (below) where you can UPLOAD your teaching resume and cover letter. In your letter, please include the following:
- Your philosophy of working with kids (how you do it and why you love it)
- Why you want to work for Go Girls!
- What qualities do you have that you feel would benefit our girls.
If you seem like a great fit, you’ll be contacted to schedule 20 minute PHONE INTERVIEW with one of veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists. This is a chance to get all your questions answered and for us to get to know more about you.
Qualified folks will be invited to attend a 30-45 minute IN-PERSON INTERVIEW with Go Girls! Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. ZOOM interviews can be scheduled with artists and assistants who live outside of the Bay Area. These interviews are held throughout February.
Our final step in the hiring process is a CALLBACK AUDITION on Saturday, March 30th from 9:00am-12:00pm in Oakland. Attending this Callback is a requirement for hiring. It’s lead by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny, veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists and Program Director, Chrissy Mulvihill. It is structured as an interactive professional development opportunity for the 30 or so artists who attend.
Final job offers are made during the week of April 8th.